You probably don’t realize and appreciate what a positive impact you are making on this world.
Why? Because you chose a career in a helping profession. Not for the money, not for the fame, but because you wanted to help people. You wanted to bring hope to a hurting world.
Hope is such a powerful force, isn’t it? It’s a belief in a positive outcome, that things will turn out for the best, that eventually everything is going to be okay.
Hope is what you give to your staff, to your patients, to those you come into contact with every day. It’s truly amazing how, with an attitude of hope, ordinary people can produce such extraordinary results.
I’m sure you sometimes lose sight of this power of hope when you are surrounded by so much suffering and pain on a daily basis. When you are stressed out, frustrated and just plain tired, it s hard to remember why you do what you do.
On the mythical island of Alumanaya, there is a valued designation given to a chosen few Kamua. A Kamua is both a teacher and a healer. They are greatly respected and held in very high regard by all the people on the island.
Through a tender touch of a hand and a unique essence that surrounds them, each Kamua passes on an indescribable kindness, a caring attention that emanates from them as they complete their routine duties.
A Kamua radiates compassionate energy.
There are Kamuas in our healthcare world too. I witness this subtle energy every time I visit my mom in the nursing home. She lights up when certain staff members walk into her room. I can immediately sense how they are spreading hope.
Maybe you re questioning whether this special quality really flows through you too. Sometimes we can all use a little recharging. Here s a quick way to renew your compassionate energy:
- Pause and reflect briefly on your current situation, whatever that may be. Are you tense? Stressed? Worn out? Observe your feelings.
- Breathe slowly and deeply for a few moments. Imagine your tension and fatigue flowing away with each outward breath.
- Watch the Alumanaya Light video to help you focus on relaxing. Notice your tension and doubts releasing.
- Feel the power of light filling you with each inward breath.
- Become conscious of the beautiful warmth of hope glowing within you and radiating outward to all you encounter.
As you re-ignite your passion for your work and your life, always remember YOU have the power to radiate hope and compassionate energy to those around you. Exhilarating, isn t it!
There is no medicine like hope, no incentive so great, and no tonic so powerful as expectation of something better tomorrow. – Orison Marden