Ever feel like you’re just a drop in the ocean, small and insignificant? Nothing you do really matters that much, right? Well, imagine if you could make a positive difference each and every day without even spending a dime or exerting all that much effort.
I used to dream of ways I could really make my life count for something. I figured I would need a lot of time and money to accomplish anything significant and long-lasting. Could little old me really do that much to make the world a better place?
Now I realize that I can. We all can!
It’s the little things done consistently over time, straight from your heart, that actually have the greatest impact. Here are some things you can do every day to help improve our world:
- Practice gratitude. When you acknowledge and appreciate all the good stuff in your life, you are happier in relationships and life in general. Spend time each day saying thank you.
- Lend a helping hand. Doing simple acts of kindness not only makes you feel all warm and fuzzy, it helps others to feel worthy. It also motivates them to want to pay it forward.
- Be attentive. Give your undivided attention to the people around you. Make eye contact. Show that you value and appreciate their time, attention and desire to connect with you.
- Say a prayer. Prayer nurtures and heals relationships. Studies even show that an active prayer life can lengthen your life, mitigate illness and increase overall well-being.
- Pick up after yourself. Keeping your home and surroundings neat and clean will help you and those around you feel safer, happier, less stressed and more tranquil. If you get it out, put it back. If you make a mess, clean it up.
- Be cheerful and positive. Know that you have control over what kind of day you will have. Your mood impacts everyone around you. When you get out of bed every morning, make a conscious effort to be positive in all things you do and say.
- Say “I love you” to someone dear. Don’t take anyone for granted. Nurture and cherish your relationships. Expressing your love in a meaningful way is the greatest gift you can give to the people in your life.
- Wash your hands. Frequent hand washing is one of the best ways to avoid getting sick and spreading illness. According to the Centers for Disease Control, clean hands actually save lives.
- Pay a compliment. This is a simple but powerful relationship building tool. Focus on others. Be kind and sincere. Encourage other people by offering genuine, heartfelt praise.
- Smile and laugh . . . a lot. Any positive vibes emanating from you will make the world brighter and friendlier. Smiling not only lifts your spirits, but those around you. Smiles are contagious!
You may feel like just a speck in the whole of humankind. But you have valuable reasons for being here. Whether you realize it or not, the unique effect of YOU can be seen, felt and heard by everyone around you. Which then radiates to the people around them, and so on and so on . . .
Isn’t it comforting to know how easy it is to do something meaningful and significant? The world is waiting on you. Be yourself and share with others. The tiny things you do every day will make all the difference.
How do you try to make the world a better place?