Ever try to eat an elephant? Just kidding! But in reality, that’s what we’re attempting whenever we try to make a huge change in our life.
I admit I feel most comfortable when I stay in my tried and true comfort zone. Oh, I sometimes think about what my kids call my “boring” lifestyle and wonder about jazzing things up a bit. But it’s all talk. I actually love my routine and regimented schedule. It helps me feel balanced.
I guess we all tend to be creatures of habit. But sometimes those habits don’t serve us very well. That’s when change can be a good thing.
While I don’t throw caution to the wind very often, there are times that I really do want to try something new, take a risk, push myself. For example, I’m currently exploring new ways to find more tranquility in my life. Stretching myself is exhilarating . . . and a little scary.
Maybe you’ve been thinking about stretching yourself a little too.
Approach any change you decide to make as a slow, easy-to-manage process. No need to pressure yourself. Try this:
- Contemplate your change. Devote 5 minutes to just thinking about why you want/need to make a change.
- Imagine your dream. Visualize for 5 minutes how your world will be a whole lot different/better with this change.
- Take one teensy “bite” at a time. Start with one little baby step. Do something, anything, toward your goal for 5 minutes.
- Celebrate your progress. Bask in the inward glow of satisfaction you feel for your 5 minutes of success.
- Increase the time a little. If you feel energized after your 5 minutes of change, add another five minutes.
There’s a multitude of 5 minute possibilities that can lead to a long-lasting transformation in your lifestyle. Consider any change that would bring you closer to how you really want to live your life.
Want to exercise more?
- Jump rope.
- Walk the dog.
- Learn a yoga pose.
- Belly dance.
- Play ball with a child or pet.
Want to eat in a more healthy way?
- Chop some veggies for snacks.
- Enjoy a piece of fruit.
- Drink an extra glass of water.
- Throw out your junk food.
- Eat slower and savor your food.
Want to be more positive?
- Count your blessings.
- Read an uplifting book.
- Do a kind deed for someone.
- Change a negative thought to a positive one.
- Pay a compliment.
Want to be more organized?
- Clear off your desk.
- Make a to-do list.
- Rearrange a drawer.
- Make your lunch the night before.
- Clean out your purse/bag.
Want to find more tranquility?
- Accept whatever is happening this moment.
- Observe your thoughts.
- Love and appreciate yourself.
- Practice stillness.
- Share your light.
You can do anything for 5 minutes! It doesn’t have to be drastic or overwhelming. Don’t judge or criticize yourself. Just spend 5 minutes moving in the direction of your change. Then reward yourself when you’re done.
Hold a clear image of successfully making a positive change and that change will become fact. Simple as it may seem, with a 5 minute mindset, you can change your world!
What positive change do you want to practice for 5 minutes?
Coming soon! The complete guide . . . An Island Perspective – Finding the Path to Tropical Tranquility