We all want to belong, to be loved and accepted, to feel like we matter. Our connections with others can enhance the quality of our lives and give us a chance to flourish.
Being social creatures, we yearn to fit in, to be a part of something bigger than ourselves. This sense of belonging is a basic need in all of us. While we’re encouraged by our society to be independent, to stand on our own two feet, the urge to belong comes first.
I am blessed to belong to a warm, loving family. I just returned from a reunion in Kansas. Such fun! Surrounded by my family, laughing and enjoying each other’s company, I was reminded how lucky I am to belong to this group of precious people.
Being an introvert by nature, I was painfully shy as a child. I guess that’s why I smile a lot – it helps when you don’t know what to say! I wanted to belong, but I often stood on the sidelines. My family gave me the love and confidence I needed to feel secure in the world.
It’s natural for us to have this inner desire to belong. No one can be totally self-sufficient. We ALL belong somewhere. But maybe you don’t have a large family . . . Maybe you don’t feel like you’re a part of any special group . . .
But you are.
Just by being alive, you belong to a very large group – humankind. We’re all in this together, sharing the good and the bad, both as individuals and as a whole. It feels good to belong, doesn’t it?
You can cultivate your sense of belonging even more:
- Relax and savor each moment. Sometimes we try too hard to belong. Slow down and breathe in the beauty all around you – in nature, in people, in experiences. Be content with being you.
- Expand your comfort zone. Open yourself up to new experiences and activities. Get involved in the world in new ways. Energize yourself with some fresh perspectives.
- Build unique connections of love. It’s not just about people. Think about other ways you belong. Consider walks on the beach, playing with your pet, gazing at the stars. Feel your connection with the universe.
- Express gratitude. Be thankful for every little thing – from the air you breathe to the stranger you pass. You’ll be amazed how your blessings and positive encounters will blossom and bloom.
- Be compassionate. Make a conscious decision to spread a little joy every day. This doesn’t require a lot of extra effort. It can be as simple as planting a smile on your face.
- Remember . . . Just by existing you are an important part of the world. You are a valuable and indispensable note in the symphony of life. You belong here, now.
Be free and flexible with growing your own community. Let yourself go. Open up your mind and your heart to spontaneity and new possibilities. Choose where and how you want to belong.
Weave yourself into a beautiful and nurturing space of love – your own special place to belong.
Tell me about some of the places or ways you like to belong.
Join the island tribe at facebook.com/IslandPerspective.
Coming soon! The complete guide . . . An Island Perspective – Finding the Path to Tropical Tranquility